The Pirate Wanderer is not a “business”. Not yet, anyway. It is a creative idea somewhere between feasibility and implementation. It is a learning opportunity. And it has the potential to become so much more.
In this first year of existence, The Pirate Wanderer is a mechanism to learn video production and probe the business side of the venture. The expectations of this first year are not based on profitability, or even on any metric involving income or expense. Rather they are completely focused on creating things that others will enjoy, and learning how to do that consistently.
Having said that, it would be irresponsible to think that “behind the scenes” considerations can be put off until some future point in time. Hence this transparency.
Current Metrics (as of March 30, 2020)
- Summary – After much soul searching, I’ve refined my niche and deliverables a bit mid this month. Standardized on thumbnails to give a more consistent presentation. Coached the actors (me) on what I want them to do going forward. Production has been limited due to Covid-19, and the analytics of these changes will take some time (as well as many more videos to support those analytics). But I feel like the path forward is a little clearer. I’ve been mostly happy with the recent videos. As well as with social media. Things are starting to gel. A future task is to start creating solid marketing plans for each platform.
- Videos – I had 273 views, up slightly. Watch time was 12.7, down a bit. Reach was 3.7k impressions with a click-through rate of 3.7.
- YouTube Subscribers – Up 2 in the last month, for a total of 137.
- Notes: The format/niche of the YouTube Channel changed significantly in mid-March. So any major shifts after that could be the cause. The Covid-19 pandemic also occurred around the same time.
Top performing YouTube videos:
- On October 7th, 2020, the YouTube Channel will be exactly one year old. The primary goal on that day is to have reached a subscriber count of 1000 followers.
- A secondary goal on that day is to have made a single dollar in income. The focus on this first year is obviously growth of the channel and this web site, but making something in revenue will be a boost.
- Individual Sponsorships/Patrons are handled by Patreon. People can support me with a monthly donation, in exchange for benefits not offered to regular followers.
- Corporate sponsorship of videos is being pondered, but not yet in force.
- Google Adsense is in place on the web site, with ads showing in multiple areas. I will enable Adsense on YouTube/Instagram when we meet monetization requirements.
- I currently have a TeeSpring shop for merchandise. I will enable the Merch Shelf on YouTube when I meet monetization requirements.
- I do not currently have many (e)Products or Services, other than the Letters To A Dead Uncle book. In the future, I will be exploring voice work and presentations as one avenue, as well as other possibilities for products and services. And I will be expanding marketing of the current book as well, including possibly a follow up version based on my YouTube experience.
- I do not currently offer Affiliate Marketing as there doesn’t seem to be a current tie-in to any product line. I will be exploring avenues for this revenue stream., especially if new sponsors provide an opportunity.